Wednesday, 7 August 2013

Bad luck

This post is, as the title suggests, about bad luck! 

So many people complain about how much bad luck they've had, personally I always feel that despite losing my dad to cancer and then battling the disease myself, I've not had that much bad luck. Yes I will admit, that is a bit of bad luck, however, I was in the clinic today and I met an incredible young man who really has had some bad luck!

I won't use the boys name but he had headaches constantly for 6 weeks and was often being sick and doctors at his local hospital said that he was fine (I'm no doctor, but that is obviously not fine!) - it turned out that this young man had a brain tumour, covering one side of his head. This tumour has blinded him in one eye and at one time he was only given 24 hours to live. 

Luckily the chap is still with us, however, he had to have an almost 10 hour operation to remove the tumour - a major operation! After the tumour was removed he has had to and will have to endure several types of chemotherapy for over two years! He also has to have 30 sessions of radiotherapy which means going to the hospital each day Monday to Friday. 

I had chemotherapy for four months and I am having 17 sessions of radiotherapy but in comparison to that guy, that's nothing! So for that I consider myself lucky - since being diagnosed I have always told myself that someone else out there has it worse off than me and this kid was a fine example. From now on, I will use this guy and his situation to motivate me even more and to make me appreciate life even more. 

If you ever think you've got bad luck, compare yourself to this guy or someone in a similar position. Just remember however hard things may be, that someone out there has it worse and you should try to use that to motivate you to keep moving forward. 

As Sylvester Stallone says in the sixth Rocky film: "Life ain't all sunshine and rainbows"


Rocky Balboa: "Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place, and I don’t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard you hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done! Now, if you know what you’re worth, then go out and get what you’re worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain’t where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain’t you. You’re better than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment